Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Leadership Traits

If you’ve read a few of my writings, you will know that I am student of leadership. Sure, I have learned from books, journals, and leaders I don’t even know. But it’s fun to learn from those I see on a regular basis. They are my best instructors.

Allow me then to share ten traits of these leaders. The list is not exhaustive, but it should give you an idea of why I am so enthusiastic about serving with these men and women.

They have a great work ethic. They are hard workers willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

They have a positive, can-do spirit. You can almost see the wheels in their minds turning when they are presented with a challenge.

They are smart. I don’t know how much of their intelligence is innate or how much is learned, but they are some of the smartest people I know.

They have high levels of energy. That energy is contagious. When we are in a room together, I am ready to conquer the world.

They contribute positively to conversations. You know the “downer” types in conversations. Some dominate where you can’t get a word in. Some are just negative. And others say almost nothing. But the leaders around me contribute in ways that are meaningful and measured.

They don’t hide from reality. Most organizations have challenges. Ours is no exception. The leaders who surround me don’t sugarcoat or hide from challenges; they confront them with tenacity and toughness.

They are relational. The leaders I observe include both extroverts and introverts. Regardless of their natural disposition, they know that relationships matter. As a result, they make certain they keep relationships open and healthy.

They are willing to get out of their comfort zones. Most of us have a tendency to do things and be in places where we are most comfortable. I am grateful for the leaders who surround me because of their willingness to get involved in areas that are not their natural strength or area of expertise.

They are continuous learners. Some read voraciously. Others have external coaches. Others attend meaningful conferences. They are continuously seeking ways to learn and to be better leaders.

They think strategically. They are always asking strategic questions like: “Why?; “Why not?”; “What’s next?”

I am blessed to be surrounded by men and women who are great leaders. They challenge me. They teach me. And, in many ways, they keep me accountable and responsive.

When I first became Director of the Women's Ministry I thought my responsibility would be leading. Certainly that is my primary role. But I have been blessed beyond measure to be a student and learner as well. And I pray that I will always have a teachable spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment